Whatever i want or need to get out, put out. Design, games, cars, technology, life.

Search

Spell check me

Corrections to my not so good (i guess) english are welcome.

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Boom2: the Mac app that´ll blow your head off (your senses and literally, almost)

So i got this tip of the Boom application to boost my Macbook Pro audio. A simple app that would increase the system´s overall volume, solving annoyances like that YouTube video that you can´t hear quite well.

It turns out that this app was a nightmare, giving me more headaches and others real trouble.

I installed it in its first version and was amazed by the increase in volume. Shortly after the problems started to appear. My computer couldn't keep a steady behaviour. I was listening to music just fine, received a FaceTime call, the volume would drop to a record low and i couldn't adjust it in the system slider nor the Boom slider. I had to quit the app to restore normal levels and be able to listen to the other person.

In other times it was the opposite! I had to open the app to listen to anything, after changing what i was doing.

Then i discovered that a new version was available: Boom 2! With awesome new features that i wouldn't and didn't want to use, i jus wanted a system wide higher volume, but i hoped it would manage thing better. It got worse.

With Boom 2 i had to go to System Preferences to change the audio output, while its behaviour became more and more erratic.

The final straw came when nothing was allowing me to have a video chat, i couldn't listen to the other person no matter what i did. So i put my headphones on and proceeded to delete the app. Nothing. I kept talking, searched the inter webs and started deleting hidden files but the freaking thing wouldn't go away, always appearing in audio settings. And that wasn't the worst part: while this conversation was happening i changed the audio output to Boom 2 to see if i´d get any options and immediately the other person starts complaining about a big, big noise, that make her actual headache worst. The conversation was over and so this app.

I had to download it again to use their uninstall option, that others say don't do much, but it was the only way i found by now. I lost my nerve to keep searching for solutions and the devs offer only confusing answers in its forums. Google is full of complains and no easy way out.

I think that after all this and several reboots it´s gone. Hope for the best.

Boom! Headshot. Don´t use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are heavily moderated, so don´t waste your time.